Is anyone else feeling nostalgic seeing Henry back in game? Of course seeing him at $7 isn't quite the Henry at $30. But I am reminded of the day when you HAD to have Henry to be competitive. It got me thinking about those HAVE TO HAVE guys of our past and maybe present (I'm looking at you RVP). So here's a quick trip to the past of EPL Fantasy Footbal.
Who else would you add?GOALIES
- Cech and Reina opening seasons- I think most of us had them on the season when they first burst onto the scene in the EPL. They were at $5 starting for a top team with good defenses. A perfect storm. Most of us picked them up week one and road them through the year never to worry again. If only De Gea were that guy.
- Bale - Bale as a defender is almost the perfect fantasy player. Takes kicks, scores, corners earned, successful crosses, goals, assist, AND clean sheets! But Bale @ $2! Wow. Such a thing will probably never happen again.
Defenders were tougher to think of, plus honestly, there is no where but down to go after Bale @ $2.
- CRON - He did it all. You had to have CRON. Not much explanation needed. The year after Ronaldo left (much like when Henry did), it felt like a totally different game.
- Pires - There aren't wingers like him anymore (ok, maybe Bale), but he was fantasy gold. We all miss him, Arsenal fans especially.
- Beckham - This seems like so long ago. The king of the phantom pt. Normal soccer stats that could be seen like shots on, fouls won, etc would make one think Beckham would have a few solid points. But when scores appeared on Yahoo! he somehow always had +15, and that was without scoring.
- Ginola! - From my early days of playing, you had to have Ginola. He was unstoppable. I don't ever remember him scoring in single digits. Plus that hair!
- Henry - Goals. Lots and lots of goals. Plus free kicks, penalties, corners won, crosses set pieces, assists, more goals, SOT, more goals. Not only did he do it all, he made it look so easy. It was fun to pick him and then watch him do it in style.
- RVP - See above.
Honorable Mention Forwards
- Shearer - He scored lots of goals.
- RVN - Before RVP there was RVN. Ruud Van Nistelroy. He was cheap to start with too.
- JFH - Jimmy Floyd Hasselback - I loved having him on my squad. He won me my first private league title. There will always be a special place in my heart for him.
These bring back memories (not all good!).
Who is missing? Who else do you think you "had to have" to be win?