Do you know who this is and why he's important to your fantasy team? (Photo by G. Newman Lowrance/Getty Images)
With the ability to make transfers so limited in both MLS games that we're spending time on this season, it seems that a brief picks column outlining the strongest options for potential transfer targets makes more sense than the usual MLS treatment that goes into detail on what could end up being an entirely new starting line-up from week-to-week.
Before we get to those top candidates for your transfer activity, here's a quick reminder of the MLS schedule for the upcoming weekend. For my money, Kansas City, Houston, and Chicago have the strongest advantages as far as the match-ups go.
Montreal Impact v Chicago Fire
San Jose Earthquakes v Houston Dynamo
FC Dallas v Portland Timbers
Sporting Kansas City v New England Revolutions
Real Salt Lake v New York Red Bulls
Seattle Sounders FC v Toronto FC
Chivas USA v Vancouver Whitecaps
Philadelphia Union v Colorado Rapids
Los Angeles v DC United
Here are the strongest options for transfers in my opinion:
- Brad Davis - He's always a good bet but when Houston has a favorable match-up, it just increases the chances he'll score well.
- Corey Ashe - Inexpensive and starting at the back for a team (Houston) with a great match-up
- Sebastien Le Toux - Vancouver may only be mediocre but Le Toux is very good and he's playing against a Chivas USA team that is not good at all
- Graham Zusi - Kansas City's goals tend to come from lots of sources. The reason to choose Zusi is that he's usually in the middle of the ones he doesn't score himself.
- Dom Uduro - We haven't gotten to see Chicago play yet this season so I'm reverting to one of their best fantasy players from last season for my pick there.
- Chicago Goalkeeper - With Sean Johnson away on Olympic qualifying duty Frank Klopas hasn't indicated if he's going to go with Jay Nolly or Paolo Tournaghi. I'd bet on the more experienced Nolly (who is also inexpensive in fantasy). The bonus is that your back-up keeper will come into play if you choose wrong.
- Kevin Hartman - If you have the money and another slot of a KC player then Hartman at home against the Revs is a strong bet.