They're back to help us through the long, quiet summer in Fantasy EPL-land - USA TODAY Sports
Every season as winter starts thinking about turning to spring, we have to face the notion that we will face yet another summer without our favorite frivolous time-wasting device - Fantasy EPL. Fortunately, the good folks at Major League Soccer are kind enough to offer us our fix. Like any good fix, it overlaps with our addiction on both sides so we don't have to go cold turkey, ever. With that, we kick off MLS fantasy season.
Last season we created leagues in two games and that seems like a little much so this season we're consolidating any official posts on the MLSSoccer.com game. For those who play the PL.com in EPL, you will recognize the format instantly as it is, essentially, the same game transposed into the MLS setting.
- Transfers are limited but you can pay for additional ones.
- Rosters are set at 15 players with a Starting XI and then a goalkeeper and three outfield players on the bench.
- Players who don't play are automatically sent to the bench and replaced with alternatives in an order you determine.
- You nominate a captain for double points.
- The one slight difference is in the "bonus point" system. Rather than assigning points to the top 3 players per match using EA Sports Performance Rating System (as they do in the PL.com game), the MLS game assigns "Bonus Points" closer to the way the Yahoo EPL game does it. Here's the quick explanation:
- 1 point for every 3 crosses (A cross is defined where the ball is played to their own player in the penalty area)
- 1 point for every 3 key passes (A key pass is one that leads to a shot at goal)
- 1 point for every big chance created (A big chance is one where the analyst determines the player should score)
- -1 point for every big chance missed
- 1 point for every 6 clearances, blocks or interceptions
- 1 point for every 6 recovered balls
- -1 point for every error leading to a goal
We'll start with some preview content over the next few days but in the meantime, here's the process for playing in the Never Manage Alone league:
- Create a team
- Click "Join A League"
- Click on "Private"
- Type in the code for the EPL Methadone (@NMA_Blog) league which is 5633-1479