POTW Charlie Austin
After playing only 158 minutes in the season through the first 12 games (and netting one goal), Charlie Austin earned his first start of the season, responding beautifully with a pair of header strikes in Southampton’s easy win over visiting Everton.
The brace gave him a tidy GW13 haul of:
- 13 points in Official, including the three bonus points
- 22 points in Fantrax, with six shots, two tackles won and one corner forced
Austin certainly has a strong Premier League pedigree with six scores from only 15 games in 2016/17 with Southampton and a huge 18 goal haul in 2014/15 with Queens Park Rangers. But he also has an injury history, as well as plenty of competition up front from Manolo Gabbiadini and Shane Long. It will be interesting to see if he can stay healthy, starting, and scoring.
In a dazzling complementary performance, Southampton teammate Dusan Tadic chipped in with a goal along with a helper on one of Austin’s strikes. Streaking midfielder Tadic opened the game’s scoring on a counterattack, finishing coolly with his left foot following a feed from rampaging wing back Ryan Bertrand.
Tadic accounted for:
- 12 points in Official, including two bonus points
- 16 points in Fantrax, with three fouls suffered (along with two conceded) and one accurate cross
Manchester City got all they could handle from Huddersfield, pulling through with a 2-1 victory. All three goals had plenty of fortune (or misfortune) involved: an own goal off the shoulder of City defender Nicolas Otamendi, a penalty kick goal by Sergio Aguero thanks to a foul drawn by Raheem Sterling, then the winner coming from a Gabriel Jesus shot that was saved by Jonas Lossl and then ricocheted off the thigh of Sterling in a right-place-right-time-didn’t-know-much-about-it-but-a-goal’s-a-goal fashion.
Sterling’s performance was good for:
- 13 points in Official thanks to the assist from drawing the PK and including all three bonus points
- 16 points in Fantrax, with two shots, four fouls suffered (along with two conceded), one accurate cross, and two corners won
The Huddersfield spoils put Sterling up to eight goals and four assists (two in the less generous Fantax system) on the season.
How did your teams do in GW13? Which of your players gave you strong returns and who instead disappointed? If you didn’t have Austin or any of the long weekend’s other standout performers, who among them are you considering adding to your fantasy teams? Let us know in the comments below!