The top four clubs in European football this season will be decided this week. Today, MD-10 starts with a bang when PSG hosts Bayern Munich in Paris. This match is more of a continuation rather than a new tie or a return leg. Bayern Munich is expected to continue the nerve-wracking pressing game right from the kick off whistle. Even though PSG is stronger on paper this week, the Parisians are expected to work on absorbing the pressure and focus on effective counterattacks similar to the first leg.
At the same time, Thomas Tuchel enjoys a 2-0 away-goals lead and welcomes Porto back to neutral Seville. Porto may be a stronger side with the return from suspension of their dangerous duo, but keeping Porto at bay should be a simple task for Chelsea.
On Wednesday, Liverpool will host Real Madrid in the return leg after losing away 1-3. Even though Real Madrid were in control of the Leg-1 match, the Spanish giants surprisingly scored from counter attacks only. The speed at which the ball is transferred from being block or interception to dangerous goal potential is astonishing.
Last but not least, Dortmund hosts Manchester City. Guardiola must be under pressure after conceding a goal at home, which gives Dortmund a slight advantage in the return leg. Both teams have quality, so the underdog could beat the favorite. UCL cannot get any better than this, so let’s get to the team news!
Crazy Monday - Injury/suspension/participation Updates
Another round of updates! Keep and eye on @NMA_Blog on Twitter for any updates during the day!
MD-10 Suspension List: No suspended players this round!
- Liverpool: Gomez, Matip, Henderson, Kelleher, Origi and Van Djik are out. Mane was rested at the weekend and played the last minutes of the match only. The same goes for Thiago Alcentara. Mane replaced Firminio at the 75th minute while Salah and Jota played full matches.
- Real Madrid: Ramos and Varane remain sidelined. Lucas Vazquez was injured against Barcelona in the Classico and will miss the match. Odriozola is expected to replace him at the right back. Valverde, Eden Hazard and Carvajal are doubtful. Real Madrid defeated Barcelona in yet another controversial match 2-1 in the weekend.
- Dortmund: Key players Sancho and Witsel are out for the Germans. Moukoko and Zagadou are also injured. Dortmund turned loss to victory twice this weekend against Stuttgart, ending the tie at 3-2.
- Manchester City: Sergio Aguero and Laporte are doubtful. Pep played without Kevin De Bruyne, Rodrigo, Gundogan, Foden, or Mahrez this weekend, and he paid the price, losing 1-2 to 10-man Leeds United. I guess he has a big enough lead in the EPL to afford resting all the key players for the return leg against Dortmund.
- Porto: No injury concerns for Porto. Taremi and Oliveira are back from suspension.
- Chelsea: Only Christensen and Thiago Silva are doubtful for the London outfit. Tuchel cruised to a 4-1 victory against Crystal Palace in the weekend.
- PSG: Marco Verratti and Florenzi return from COVID infection while Parades returns from suspension.PSG coach stated that it is doubtful for Verratti to start, but anything is possible these days. Bernat, Icardi, Kurzawa and Marquinhos are out.
- Bayern: Douglas Cost, Tolisso and Lewandowski remain sidelined (though Lew has returned to training). They are joined with Gnabry, Sule and Roca to miss the big match against PSG. Coman has a knock but traveled with the team. Flick drew 1-1 against Berlin on Saturday after fielding 3 youngsters from the start.
️ Hansi #Flick gives a squad update for #PSGFCB: "@LucasHernandez and @leongoretzka_ trained and looked good. The same goes for @JeromeBoateng and Kingsley #Coman. We assume that those who trained can play."#packmas #MiaSanMia pic.twitter.com/KXTd4RkKlF— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) April 12, 2021
Keep an eye on the comments section for press conference reports and any other status updates before today’s deadline. Good luck to everyone!
How’s your team faring? Do you have any tactical questions? And which match do you most wish to watch as a fan? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!