English Premier League Title
Manchester City won the EPL of 2020-21 season by 12 points.
UEFA Champions League Qualification
The two Mancunian sides secured the top two spots in the league before the last GW to ensure qualification. Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester were in a three way fight on Finale Sunday to claim the remaining two spots. Liverpool comfortably leapfrogged into third with a 2-0 home victory over Crystal Palace in front of a portion of rabid returning fans. Leicester fumbled its lead and qualifying spot all in one match, felled by a brilliant Tottenham comeback that ended 4-2 in Spurs’ favor. Leicester’s loss gifted Chelsea 4th despite the Blues’ 2-1 away loss to a Grealish-restored Aston Villa.
UEFA Europa League Qualification
Winning 3-0 at home against Southampton, West Ham did not leave qualification to chance, avoiding a points tie with Tottenham that would have seen Spurs nick the Europa League instead. Leicester was already the FA Cup winner, so qualifies as well. Both teams will start their Europa League campaigns next season from the group stage.
Relegation to the Championship
This season’s relegation battle ended earlier than ever before, Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United mathematically eliminated weeks ago to make room for Norwich City, Watford FC and Brentford.
The numbers would usually have the names of the top clubs listed as the best, but here and there are outliers that warrant investigation. This could be interesting to some of our readers, so if you feel like going deeper into the numbers, whoscored.com has been my go-to reference for a few years now.
- Possession %: As expected Man City has the highest percentage with 60.8% average throughout the season followed by Liverpool at 59% and Chelsea at 58.6%.
- Pass Accuracy: Once again the same trio of Man City (89.4%), Chelsea (87%) and Liverpool (85.7%) made the top three.
- Shots per game: The same teams but in a different order; Liverpool (16), Man City (15.8) and Chelsea (14.6).
- Highest scoring team: Man City scored 83 goals, crosstown rivals Man United second at 73.
- Least conceding team: Manchester City conceded only 32 goals, Chelsea 36 and Arsenal 39.
- Aggression (poor discipline): Not surprisingly, this anti-stat went to relegated clubs Fulham (67 yellow and 3 red) and Sheff Utd (73 yellow and 3 red).
- Goals scored from open play: 61 by Manchester City, followed by Tottenham with 49.
- Goals scored from counterattacks: Leeds tops the list with 7 followed by Man United and West Ham at 6.
- Goals scored from set pieces: West Ham managed 16 from set pieces; Southampton came second with 14, and Everton had third with 13.
- Penalties scored: Both Man United and Leicester each scored 10 penalties, Chelsea 8.
Finally, here is a video from Premier League Youtube channel on the best moments of the season.
Congratulations to Manchester City, condolences to the relegated teams, and welcome to the promoted teams.
How did you fare in your FPL and Fantrax this season? Please share with us your stories, ups and downs. What was your best/worst transfer? On a personal level, this was my first EPL and FPL season. Next season I will be coming for you.